Friday, February 21, 2014

Remembering

I was recently slapped with the memories of watching Xena: Warrior Princess when i was younger.




 It has been nearly ten years now since i sat in silence in front of a small crappy TV, next to my mother, watching Xena fighting for the greater good in Russian voice-overs.            

Sexy, beautiful, bad-ass; what more can one want from this incredible feminist icon. Xena was the most relatable amazonian princess; she did what we all do: run from the past in fear of the mistakes we've regrettably made. But run was not all she did. She strived to fight for what she believed in and with the help of the (adorable) companion, Gabrielle, to pull her back when needed, she achieved just that. 




 I only now realize how impossibly amazing that series was and how it influenced me, a six-year-old, at that time. Without me being aware, after the "Xena" evenings, my being began to altar. I became more confident, like Xena; more persistent, like Xena; more capable, like Xena. Subtracting this tiny factor from my childhood would result in someone who wasn't , essentially, me. 

Thank you, Xena (and Gabrielle)! 
    

No comments:

Post a Comment